Wednesday, June 08, 2005

True Faith

‘And what can I do for you sir?’ Kim peeked out at the pony-tailed man over the tall reception desk.
‘I came down here to be evangelized,’ he said, shilling over an old pamphlet. ‘Someone put this in my pocket while I was passed out at ozzfest last year. I got your address here on the back.’
‘Oh,’ Kim said, and pushed some buttons hurriedly. She muffled something into the end of a phone and looked over at the man repeatedly as she listened, nodding her head. ‘Did you see the sinner’s prayer printed on the back?’ She asked.
Stu flipped the tract over. ‘Oh yeah,’ he tapped the bottom with his finger, ‘but I thought it might not be real unless I confessed to someone or something.’
She turned away. ‘He saw the prayer’ she said to the floor. More silence, more nods. She turned back and smiled. 'What's your name, sir?'
'Stu Jenkensen.'
‘I have good news Mr. Jenkensen. If you read the prayer you are actually already… Evangelized.’
‘Oh,’ he said.
‘I understand how that can come as a surprise to you.’ She hung up the phone. ‘But let’s not make your trip down here for nothing.’ Kim disappeared behind the desk and re-emerged with an armload of materials. ‘Mr. Jenkensen, do you like sports? Because first of all we have a brand new sports Bible filled with many inspiring sports stories. And here is the church directory, a guide to the rapture, and you also get to share your faith with this self adhesive bumper sticker.’
Stu flipped the sticker over. ‘Are you Saved?’ it said in bold red letters.‘Thanks, but don’t I need to believe or something?’ He asked.
Kim smiled the exact same smile, ‘You wouldn’t be down here without faith, Stu.’ She placed the tattered tract on top of the others and handed them tenderly into his outstretched hands. ‘The best thing you can do now is call one of those numbers and get your walk started.’
Stu could tell the conversation was over. ‘Oh, ok.’ He turned around, arms full, to the double glass doors.
The stuff got thrown in the trunk, but the sticker stared back at him from inside. ‘Are You Saved?’ It asked. Even though he knew he didn’t believe, he peeled the sticker, put it on his car, got in, and drove away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, how come you write so good?

Quintessential Queen said...

colin, this is brilliant! I love the poigency and sense of urgancy in it. And the ironic twist at the end! Pure brilliance! I am excited to see what else comes flowing out of you. check out my new anonymous blog...its the one that won't have my name on it so I can be more "honest", shall we say...

Anonymous said...

OK, she was chewing gum, right? Well. . even if she wasn't, it was so vivid and I laughed all the way through. . .this was a really funny scene. . until the ending, anyway. What? . . no gum and it wasn't meant to be funny?? After all that laughing, it suddenly tugged at my heart. . must have been the truth it told.