Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Suburban Decay

The president of the League Against Suburbs convened the meeting. What do you have for us? Trevor asked the slouched initiate sitting in the plastic chair beside the coffee table. I have these, he said, offering his hand which opened to reveal five or six small bolts and screws. The members nodded approvingly. Where did you do this? Trevor asked. Applebees. I took apart the toilet paper dispenser in the men’s bathroom and got one of the hinges off the dumpster out back. But I forgot that at home. The members nodded approvingly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your little knit-cap-shrouded head makes me happy every time I see it.

Mark

Unknown said...

Josiah,

Hebridean Revival refers to the 1949 Christian revival in the Outer Hebrides, an island chain in the far northwest of Scotland. My screenname has been Mrhebrides for some time now as in 2002 I spent a week island hopping in that magical archipalago.Yeah, what a phone call that was! Thanks for checking out the site.

Quintessential Queen said...

Um, Colin,
Thanks for that phone call by the way. I never really did find out exactly what was said...but I very much appreciate you offering your strength to me when I really needed it.

Thanks - AJW